[Download Issue #3] (Prints 8.5×11)
It seems fitting that we are releasing this issue now, in December. Following the letter from imprisoned anarchists in Greece and the call for international activity, Black December rages on, writing the memory of our fallen comrades with words, banners, stones, and fire. In that spirit, we dedicate this third issue of Wildfire to the memory of New Afrikan anarchist and Black Liberation Army combatant Kuwasi Balagoon, and earth liberationist William Avalon Rogers.
Kuwasi Balagoon was killed by medical neglect while doing a life sentence for an expropriation in which two police and one guard were killed. Kuwasi died from an AIDS-related illness on December 13, 1986. William Avalon Rogers took his own life while in jail on charges related to arsons committed by the Earth Liberation Front. He died on the winter solstice, December 21, 2005. This month will mark the ten year anniversary of Avalon’s death.
We write this not as a reminder of the risks inherent in struggle, nor to emphasize the brutality of the state. We remember Kuwasi and Avalon because their lives have created small spaces in our own lives where domination ceases and freedom blooms. We remember Kuwasi and Avalon because they have inspired us to act, in our own ways, against order. We remember Kuwasi and Avalon because we want to continue the struggles to which they gave their lives.
Most of all, we remember Kuwasi and Avalon because so many others involved in the struggles for black liberation, earth liberation, animal liberation, and anarchy remain behind bars. We intend to see all of these comrades free, and until that day, to act in solidarity with their struggles and with prison revolts wherever they happen.
Unwavering solidarity to all rebellious prisoners!
Memory is a weapon.
– “A Balanced Approach” by Lacino Hamilton
– “The Freedom Movement” by Terrence Adderly
– A letter from Casey Brezik
– “Who Should Step Down?” by Jose Villareal
– News from Alabama by anonymous
– A response to Sean Swain by Christopher Reynolds
– A response to issue #1 by Anarcho-Faheem
– A reply to Michael Kimble by Sean Swain
– “Work Strikes: A Response” by Michael Kimble
– “Buckin in the BOP” by anonymous
– Call for a Black December
– A chronology of some actions August-November 2015